30% more productive, if you want to know.
It’s a bit counter-intuitive – surely having more control over the computers gives you more control over the employees? But it seems not.
The YouGov research was commissioned by a company that makes remote access software – Citrix Online – so obviously has an interest in the results. Their software will let you access work servers from your computer. But from personal point of view. I can see where they’re coming from.
Here’s a quick list of why using your own computer work well in my experience.
Benefits from the employer’s perspective
– It’s a lot cheaper because you don’t have to buy the computers – or the software
– You’re not responsible for updating or maintaining the computers either
– Employees can be happier and more productive
– Employees are more likely to invest in the latest software and hardware than a business
Benefits from the employee’s perspective
– You can work from home or from wherever you are, as opposed to being tied to your office desk.
– You can work with the computers and tools that you want to work with – if you prefer a Mac, you can use a Mac. And if you want certain software, you can get it yourself, without having to go through bureaucracy.
– You can do other stuff apart from work during work. They can’t ban Facebook if you’re using your own computer.
– When there’s a computer failure, there aren’t back-up computers or IT support
– Security of information – businesses have less control over where their information is