On sale from 6th April in the UK, we grabbed a quick hands-on with the Windows 7 Asus EP121 Slate.
At £999 you’d expect some seriously impressive specs and it has them:
- Intel i5 chip – a 2.66GHz quad-core power monster
- 12.1inch Gorilla Glass screen
- Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)
- 2 megapixel front-facing camera
- 4GB RAM
- 64GB memory
Our first impressions:
1) My god it’s big: that 12 inch screen makes it feel like someone ripped a monitor off a laptop.
2) It’s also quite heavy: this isn’t the sort of thing you could whip out of your coat pocket – it’s quite thick (17mm) and heavy, and need cooler vents to make sure that power-hungry i5 chip is kept cool.
3) Battery life is so-so: with a quad core chip, a big bright screen and running normal Windows 7, this tablet eats battery power. It has a measly 2.5 hr battery life: not great next to the iPad’s 9 hours, or the Transformer’s 16 hours.
4) Windows 7 works fine with touch, but it is not an intuitive interface: Note that this is Windows 7 for PC, not Windows Mobile 7 – which has a lovely user interface. I’m a PC user so I’m used to those awkward browser windows – the menu options etc, but compared to the Android and Apple’s iOS, it’s fiddly and frustrating.
5) Powerful: to the positives – it really is quick. Windows burst open immediately, tools like paint are lightening quick. It’s like a desktop computer just with a touch screen. I imagine video editing and other memory intensive tasks would be a speedy pleasure.
6) Surprisingly great for graphics and visual work: With the stylus, huge screen and powerful chip, the Eee Slate is actually going to be good for graphics – architects etc. I had this down as businessman’s tablet, but it could be a powerful tool for the creative industries.
7) Contains the kitchen sink: Asus get one over on Apple here – this has 2 USB ports, a mini HDMI port, a headphones port, Flash of course, and will be compatible and shareable with your PC at home and at work.
For more more pictures click through the gallery below…
Eee Pad Slate Windows Tablet
Back and front and stylus...
Must read posts:
10 Ways to make your Instagram photos more awesome
What professional photographers really think of your...
Battle of the 20s: the 20MP Sony Xperia Z2 and Nokia Lumia...